PRINCELY ESTATE BUILDINGS
The impressive and architecturally valuable palace complex dates back to the 18th century: it includes the large palace, agricultural buildings, which surround the spacious courtyard (armoury, royal stables , coach house, stables, barns and administration buildings), Mill gate, court mill, the former wood depot, the gate to the Rose garden with gate houses, the riding school, the Brühl gate, the brewery, the castle park as well as the Orangerie with court gardens.
The Ellingen Palace, riding school and park were sold to the Free State of Bavaria in 1939.
The Princely estate buildings are still owned by the Prince’s family.
Brewery: this extraordinary and impressive building with the Ehrenhof (court of honour) opposite to the palace was probably built by Franz Keller, building master of Ellingen’s District Commander, Carl Heinrich Freiherr von Hornstein. The brewery was however first mentioned in documents from 1690. Today, the entire assortment of FÜRST CARL beer is still produced within these historic walls including he brew house with its impressive copper kettles, the fermentation and storage cellars with the beautiful cross vaults. The Bräustüberl with its festive room and the administration offices are also located in the west and east wings of the brewery.
Armoury and Stables: The princely stables border the armoury and “tack room”. There, the horses of the passionate rider Field Marshall Prince of Wrede were housed. Probably the most famous of these horses was “Moilena”, a white horse, which was the parade horse of the Field Marshall.
The Princely estate buildings also contain the stalls formally used for farm animals (horses, oxen and pigs), the impressive barn, the dairy as well as accommodation for the tenants and former courtiers.
The former Byre (ox-shed), with its impressive cross vaults has been renovated. Today it can be rented and used for weddings, meetings and parties!
In the coming years the remaining estate buildings and the Orangerie will also be renovated for commercial use which will secure the future of this wonderful baroque court.